Be a good partner....
Avalanche skills get rusty, no matter how much you ski. Staying current requires practice, courses and mentorship. By hiring IFMGA Mountain Guide Joe Stock, we can customize a course to match your needs. It will be a big day of skills, full of learning and moving around in mountains.
- Trip planning
- Avalanche companion rescue
- Terrain management
- Route finding
- Stability observations
- Decision making techniques
- Debrief, what's next?
- Previous avalanche level one required.
- Recent avalanche companion rescue practice. We will have assessment and review before our tour.
- Four days. See calendar on homepage for courses.
- No scheduled yet for winter 2017/18.
- 1 client: $500 per day
- 2 clients: $300 per person per day
- 3 clients: $225 per person per day
- 4+ clients: $200 per person per day. Up to ten clients. A second instructor may be added.
- AMGA/IFMGA Mountain Guide Joe Stock.
- Navigation, first aid and repair kits.
- Emergency communication and shelter.
Does Not Include
- Transport. To reduce your costs, using a rental car or your personal car is the best option. If possible, the guide will ride with you.
- Lodging, food and drink. See Southcentral Alaska Logistics.
- Personal gear. See Alaska Backcountry Ski Gear List.
- Rescue and trip insurance. See Booking for details.
- Avalanche gear:
- Snow saw: G3 Bone Saw is Joe's choice
- Shovel: Black Diamond Eval Shovel is Joe's choice
- Beacon: Pieps DSP Pro is Joe's choice
- Inclinometer: phone not recommended, Brunton TruArc 15 Compass is Joe's choice.
- ECT cord: 3m of 2mm accessory cord with overhand knots every 15cm.