Climb Ice in Southcentral Alaska!
IFMGA Mountain Guide Joe Stock guides ice climbing in Southcentral Alaska—the region around Anchorage. The area has ice for all abilities, for a first time experience, to long multi-pitch routes in the mountains. Joe also teaches ice climbing courses, which give you the skills to climb on your own.
For the first time climber, the Manatanuska Glacier or Eklutna Canyon are good options with their short approach and intro-level ice. For experienced climbers, Eklutna Canyon also has longer routes, or we can visit Caribou Creek, Portage, the Seward Highway or Hunter Creek.
First time to advanced
- Ice Movement: we'll cover the full progression from flat-footing, to ice climbing with no tools, to one tool, to vertical ice with two tools. This progression creates a solid foundation for good technique.
- Dry Tooling/Mixed Climbing: climbing rock with crampons and ice axe.
- Risk Management: recognizing hazards, minimizing risk
- Knots: the knots you need and the ones to avoid
- Anchors: ice protection, EARNEST anchors, Abalakov threads
- Belaying: for lead, TR and top-belay
- Rappelling: including modern safety techniques
- Multi-Pitch: belay station management, belaying in guide mode
- Lead Climbing: mock lead, low angle leads, swapping leads on multi-pitch
- Ice Rescue
- Guide Skills
December through March for waterfall ice. All year for ice climbing on the Matanuska Glacier.
- 1 client: $500 per day
- 2 clients: $300 per person per day
- 3 clients: $225 per person per day
- 4+ clients: $200 per person per day
- Click here for booking.
- AMGA/IFMGA Mountain Guide Joe Stock.
- Ropes, ice and rock protection.
- Some gear available for loan.
- Navigation, first aid and repair kits.
- Emergency communication and shelter.
Does Not Include
- Transport. To reduce your costs, the guide will ride with you.
- Lodging, food and drink. See Southcentral Alaska Logistics.
- Personal gear. See Ice Climbing Gear List.
- Rescue and trip insurance. See Booking for details.
Photos of Ice Climbing in Southcentral Alaska
Ice Climbing Testimonials
"Wow, what a great experience. I had a fun time and learned a lot! Thanks for the all the encouragement!"
"You are great with people, and you made a nervous father totally not nervous at all."
"McGee, Toy and I all had a blast and learned a great deal from you. Both how to climb better and how to teach climbing better. So again, thank you for your expert instruction and great attitude."
"I just want to let you know that I truly appreciate the example you set while instructing ice and snow climbing. Because of you, I decided to pursue the guide lifestyle once I leave the military. I have applied, and been accepted for, the alpine guide course. I’m looking forward to managing all sorts of climbs, using you as my example of what right should look like. Thanks again, Joe, you made a definite impression."